NYS 47 Hour Armed Security Guard
Training for security guards was mandated by the Security Guard Act of 1992. The Act requires that all security guards complete three training courses.
Armed guards are required to complete two additional training courses. All courses must be conducted at approved training schools, by certified instructors.
- Guards who carry firearms are required to complete a NYS 47 Hour Firearms course before they can be licensed as an armed security guard. This course includes seven hours of classroom instruction in the Use of Force (NYS Penal Law Art. 35) followed by a written examination, and 40 hours of firearms training followed by weapons qualification. Upon successful completion of this course the guard is issued a training certificate. This certificate must accompany the security guard's registration application when submitted to the Department of State.
- Armed guards must also complete an Eight Hour Annual Firearms Training course which includes three hours of classroom refresher on the Use of Force followed by a written examination, and five hours of firearms training followed by weapons qualification. The guard must complete this course as a prerequisite for renewal of his or her armed guard registration.
The 47 Hour Firearms Training Course for Armed Security Guards includes use of Force/Deadly Physical Force and Range Instruction and Qualification.
All instructors who provide New York State mandated firearms training, are certified appropriately through the Security Guard Program (SGP) in accordance with Part 6029 of the New York State Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations (NYCRR).
At the conclusion of training, a 20 question examination comprised of approved questions must be administered. A minimum score of 85 percent must be achieved by each student to satisfactorily complete this mandated training.
The examination component for the Range Instruction is the actual qualification with the duty weapon by each student. To qualify, each student is required to fire at least 2 qualifying scores of 70 percent (175 of a possible 250) with service/duty ammunition.
NYS 47-HOUR FIREARMS COURSE PREREQUISITES PURSUANT TO NEW YORK STATE LAW AND THE RULES OF THE NEW YORK STATE DIVISION OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE SERVICES:
Important: In order to take the 47 hour firearms course, you will first need to possess the following
- (1) A valid unarmed New York State Security guard license (also known as a "registration card"). You must have the actual license in your hand, not just a training certificate.
- (2) A valid New York State pistol permit.
- (3) A duty-type weapon with a caliber of 9mm or higher (smaller calibers are not acceptable for this course according to state regulations). Firearm Rentals will be made available at the range, if needed.
The following items are included for no additional charge:
- 1. Hearing protection.
- 2. Eye protection
Call our training department @ (516) 381-2227 for more information & scheduling.