Basic Pistol Safety/Marksman Course
**MUST HAVE A VALID NYS PISTOL PERMIT OR BE ACTIVE ENFORCEMENT**
Who is this course for?
This course is for novice and experienced firearms enthusiasts who own a handgun. It consists of 1/2 hour of classroom time, with up to 2 1/2 hour live fire portion.
What can you expect?
This course is a great opportunity for you to learn and have fun. You will have the option to select handguns from our rental dept. The following handguns are available for trial during this class:
- .45 acp
- .40 S&W
- .38 spl
During the course you will learn how to properly handle, store, clean and fire major handgun action types; as well as fire them in different shooting positions. Range time is more involved than the first steps class. Ammunition and targets are not supplied (although students may bring their own).
The Course Outline:
- Pistol safety, parts and operation
- Three fundamental safe gun-handling rules
- Three major handgun parts on each of the three action types
- Safely demonstrate how to handle a handgun properly (all three types)
- Ammunition and pistol shooting fundamentals
- Determine proper ammunition for your handgun
- Three types of cartridge malfunctions
- Determine dominant eye
- Explain fundamentals of pistol shooting from the standing position
- Pistol shooting from the bench rest position
- Pistol shooting from the standing position
- Explain range commands and procedures to follow
- Discuss eight rules when shooting and storing a handgun
- Safely shoot a target from the bench rest position
- Reiterate all five shooting fundamentals
- Explain fundamentals of pistol shooting from the two handed standing position
- Safely shoot a target from the two handed standing position
- Explain fundamentals of pistol shooting from the one handed standing position
- Safely shoot a target from the one handed standing position
- Pistol Cleaning, Storage, and Training
- Identify materials needed to clean a handgun
- Outline safety guidelines when cleaning a handgun
- Demonstrate proper dis-assembly and cleaning of a handgun
- Explain how to store firearms and ammunition properly
- Identify shooting sports, activities, and further training opportunities
Call our training department @ (516) 381-2227 for more information & scheduling.